Friday, September 28, 2012

Winner of the Banned Books Poll!



With 28% of the vote, the winner is... To Kill a Mockingbird!

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee   
  6 (28%)
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
  1 (4%)
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  4 (19%)
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler           
  3 (14%)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  5 (23%)
Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissenger
  2 (9%)
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
  3 (14%)

I will be re-reading this amazing book in honor of Banned Books Week, which starts on September 30.  I'm excited.  I even have a pretty hardcover version to read.
Photo: To Kill a Mockingbird is currently winning my Banned Books Week poll... which is lucky, because I have this gorgeous copy with dust jacket and slipcover that's been sitting on my office shelf for a year.  
But it's still not too late to vote!  http://bravenewbookshelves.blogspot.com/
With slipcase!
If I have time, I'll also re-read the second-place finisher, A Wrinkle in Time.  Consider joining me in reading a book in honor of Banned Books Week!  If none of the nominees above appeal to you, there are plenty of other options, from Huckleberry Finn to Harry Potter.  Did you know the Hunger Games trilogy was among the ten most challenged books/series in 2011?  Obviously books that start with H are magnets for people who Hate books.  Kidding!  The full top ten for last year is below, courtesy of the American Library Association:  
         
To Kill a Mockingbird is still on the list in 2011, how crazy is that?  Also, Brave New World, the title that inspired the name of this blog, was number 7.  For more about Banned Books Week, visit the American Library Association website.  

No comments: